Friday, March 25, 2011

from the cozy space of our backyard

Though it is still covered with snow at this time of the year, the backyard is the most comforting and cozy retreat for me. I feel most relaxed when I could find a moment to paint here. While I was painting this view, to my delight, I heard the honk of a flock of geese flying over the sky. Sure spring has sprung despite of the snow  . Somehow, I clearly remember in the 60s when I was growing up in China's remote Altay which shares almost identical climate with  prairie Canada, I so enjoyed literally watching the change of the season right in front of my eyes when the ice on the frozen river right behind my house started to break up producing that delightful and exciting cracking noise heralding the coming of spring. I remember I would sit on a small chair against the wall watching totally mesmerized by the sight. I must have been 6 year old then. Sadly the beautiful view that is  deeply rooted in my memory has been long gone together with the person who was so much part of my life then.

No comments: