Saturday, May 2, 2009

Provencher Bridge


After a quick snack, I found myself on the bank of Red River looking at this spectacular new bridge across the river under the brilliant spring sky. Well, I felt so excited standing there painting! After all is not it the same Red River mentioned in the song Red River Valley with these lyrics
"From this valley they say you are going,
We will miss your bright eyes and sweet smile.
For they say you are taking the sunshine,
That has brightened our pathway awhile.
So come sit by my side if you love me.
Do not hasten to bid me adieu.
Just remember the Red River Valley,
And the one that has loved you so true. "

Why it is that I could still remember the lyrics line by line? Back in the late 70s when China first opened its door to the outside world, for the first time in my life I first heard such beautiful tunes from a distant world after a generation of us grew up in the hay days of Communist China! I still remember the first time I heard it and rudimentary  awaking of something hidden deep in my heart.

No comments: