Friday, July 10, 2009

The Museum


It was quite early in the morning when I got to this location to paint. It was a very windy morning and there was a shower of rain over night as it was evident with the pool of water in front of the museum. This used to be the railway station which must have been the center of the town's life in the heydays of railway travel. While painting this view, I was thinking of how many times, those human drama of joy and sorrow associated with this spot had been repeatedly played in the past. The gust of wind was so strong that it almost knocked over my French easel. I had to hold it down with my left hand to keep it steady. A young lady who happen to work for the museum came over to chat. She happened to be a fine art student and was able to speak very good Chinese to me which was a total surprise to me. Well, I can see how much the demographic landscape has been changed with the recent immigration of people from Korea and Philippine in this town. In Margaret Laurence's day it must be rare to see visible minorities walking down the streets here.

No comments: